Jun

Something fishy about ‘Salmon Confidential:’ another perspective

A great article showed up in my Google Alerts today, in which the author picks apart many of the film’s errors which I did not have time to address here. It’s well worth a read and provides another critical perspective of this film.

In the end, the film is highly selective in what they show, relying on cherry picking to remove the larger context of what the full body of scientific literature supports and does not support. The film uses misdirection, even outright falshoods, to slant the viewer towards a conclusion that the farmed salmon industry has brought exotic disease into BC, and that it is the cause of the declining productivity.

Read “Salmon Confidential, a fish out of water” here.

About these ads

15 Responses to “Something fishy about ‘Salmon Confidential:’ another perspective”

1. 1 illahie
    June 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Is this movie a case of noble cause corruption? The film makers must know that the story that they are telling is bogus.

• 2 Anonymous
      September 29, 2013 at 10:24 pm

where do I complain about the fish … I was so disappointed I bought some farm raised salmon It said pacific ocean in big letters then being deceitful small letters saying farm raised … put it big if your so proud. well here I have it so I cooked the not proud piece of fish they had to add color to it … over 11 dollars I paid for this less than 1 pound piece. I had a very enjoyable meal with my boyfriend except for the fish my 11 dollars sits in the garbage can. how disappointing this is to me I hast wasting food and have always loved salmon. so now with everything going on I am done eating fish, I would not recommend any fish be eaten by anyone.

2. 3 justice and truth
    June 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Do you want to put an end to Alexandra Mortons campaign to destroy fish farms?..I have specific information that will clearly show that under a year ago, she and her filmaker obtained information in the commision of a criminal act and then changed the information. I have detailed proof of this. If this information is public it will not only stop her it will most likely trigger an criminal investigation. Please contact me if you want to put an end to their lies once and for all. This will expose them for the liars they are!!

• June 12, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Why don’t you post it here? Also if it will trigger a criminal investigation, shouldn’t you take it to the police first?

• 5 guest
        September 7, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Salmonconfidencial.com

Borrowing one of Alexandra Mortons, videos as your domain name, to draw hits is an interesting idea. Sadly the name Salmonconfidencial was created by her group first, basically this sites name is not original and only exists because of the movie Salmonconfidencial.

• September 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm

You spelled it wrong, but at least you spelled it wrong consistently.

3. 7 ClayoquotKid
    June 13, 2013 at 9:06 am

Justice and Truth – Oh, do tell! Since we aquaculture workers and scientists only have empirical evidence, logic and reason to work with – a little speculative jaunt into the sordid underbelly of the anti movement would be quite entertaining.

4. 8 ClayoquotKid
    June 13, 2013 at 9:30 am

Justice and Truth – I agree with the blogger about contacting the authorities first. Here is a link that may help: http://www.justicebc.ca/en/cjis/you/witness/crime/index.html

5. 9 Laurie Jensen
    June 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Take it to the police. Proof of a crime will trigger an investigation! We all know they misrepresented peoples comments… proof that is ture would be poetic justice

6. 11 picine.reovirus
    September 6, 2013 at 5:41 pm

picine.reovirus@getthis.com it is interesting that your discussing the law and alleged illegal acts by Alexander and her groups. . Lets speculate that a non native fish virus was imported into Canada, lets speculate that DFO failed to find it in its limited testing process. Who would be responsible industry or DFO, for the damages, to B.C , and US salmon. At some point once Us fish are infected, by those Virus that have a B.C gentic print, the fish farm bankers may find it fiscally proactive to get DFO to take over this mess.

Please dont censor this if its in the wrong thread create a new one. Thank you I trust your interested in science and want to get an unbiased aproach, vs a one sided view. You would be advised to inform stock holders of their future risks or you can delete this and they would likely loose the shirt off thier backs.

picine.reovirus@getthis.com the pacific is nicer then the tourism adds in Norway implied.

7. 12 studentinnorway
    September 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

So… what about the possibility that a positive PCR for ISAV could just indicate vertical transmission of the virus? Does that idea float for you, as Vike et al believe it does, and others before them?

• September 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm

A positive PCR test by itself doesn’t mean much.

Vike et al showed that the ISA virus can be transmitted vertically, as it possibly was in contaminated eggs shipped from Norway to Chile. But in Chile, there was obviously a virus present when thousands of salmon started showing clinical signs and dying.

In BC there are no clinical signs of ISA, and thousands of PCR tests of good quality farmed salmon samples have been negative for the virus.

Morton is the only one who can find samples which test “positive.” So it stands to reason that either she is right and there is a ridiculously massive coverup, as her film asserts, or else she is wrong because her samples are complete garbage throwing up false positives in PCR tests.

It is possible that the virus could be vertically transmitted to BC. But there is no evidence this has happened. No clinical signs, i.e. thousands of dead farmed salmon floating on the surface of the pens. And the ongoing tests show no evidence of the virus in farmed or in wild fish (good quality samples, that is).